Saturday, April 10, 2010

Preparing For Battle

In a box
I found an old letter
You gave to me
Full of encouragement
And child-like joy
Stickered amongst
The few words
So as not to overwhelm
My undeveloped mind

I never told you
You were my favorite
Funny how things don’t really change
On the journey from innocence
To dark responsibility
Funny how somehow
I knew to keep that letter
Safe
So that it could someday
Remind me of what you
Already knew
I would need
And
Who I would be

I often wonder
Who you are now
Ten years ago
I caught a glimpse
And then it was
Good-bye in disguise
But your spirit
Always remains

Like today
In words spoken
Twenty-five years ago
“Sergeant at Arms” I was
And I will be again
My only hope is that
You would be as proud
And grateful for me now
As you were then

No comments:

Post a Comment